About Me

My photo
Kitchener, Ontario,, Canada
Mother Mugs was established May 2008 Author : Over whelmed by God's Grace Uncovering the Truth about Adoption

Welcome

I hope that my poetry and writing will encourage you.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Smile, A mothers love

Heart Matters 2011                                                                                                 Hazel Etcher

my mom

 . My mom had Dementia for about 10 years. The last 6 years of her life mom couldn't speak. The disease had taken her speech. When mom first went into the home Mom was sullen and wouldn't respond. I wondered if we would ever see mom smile again.

One afternoon while we were down visiting mom I took mom's hand and prayed that she would know the love of Jesus and her family.  I did something I hadn't done for a while since mom had Dementia  I said I love you mom. Moms eyes began to show to life. She started to smile! She even hugged me. I started to cry . Mom had come back. Mom seldom spoke words. One day on Mothers Day I heard her a muffled  of syllables and I understood. "I love you to."

Dementia steals a lot from you. It steals you the ability to do normal everyday tasks, it steals the ability to think clearly, it  sometimes  steals your speech.

One thing that is always there is a smile, a giggle and a hug and touch of a hand. These were never stolen from my mom. 

 My mom was born on Manitoulin Island in 1920. My mom went to
Bible College and taught school upnorth in a one room school house. Mom later became a City Mission Worker with the United Missionary Church. City Mission Workers were know as Ministering Sisters.

 Mom met my Dad Clifford Etcher in Port Hope. After mom's stint as a Ministering Sister ended in Port Hope, Mom married my dad who attended the church where mom was a ministering sister in 1951.  Dad worked as a worker in the  The Port Hope Sanitary (made cast iron bathtubs) and also worked at the Town Hall until retirement. They raised 2 girls Marilyn my sister and I (Margaret).   

Dad  had a massive heartattack and  passed away in 1987.
Mom continued on in the family home until 2000.  The disease  Dementia was progressing and she was no longer able to live in her own home and she went to live in a retirement home.

Mom passed away May 12,2006.  I was by her side. A mom whose smile and laughter I will never forget. A mom and dad who were always there for me.

Proverbs 3:5,6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, Lean not to your own understanding in all your ways
Acknowledge him and he shall direct your paths.






No comments:

Writing

Welcome to my Heart Matters Blog
I hope that you will enjoy readling my blog.
Please any comments you wish.
Have a pleasant day